Evolution of TMC

TMC owns and operates the Madison Community House (MCH)
  • 1896 - The Thursday Morning Club (TMC) is established
  • 1900 - TMC became a member of the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs (NJSFWC)
  • 1906 - TMC hired Madison’s first public health nurse, Miss Cora Payn
  • 1907 - TMC became a member of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC)
  • 1909 - Settlement work began with one (1) rented room used for recreational/medical center
  • 1910 - TMC rented a ten room house where all activities were coordinated
  • 1912 - Started first morning kindergarten - later became part of the public school program
  • 1913 - Started and maintained Baby Keep Well Station
  • 1924 - Settlement House constructed at 25 Cook Avenue with a bequest from member Mary B. Cash
  • 1925 - The Green Door Players, a community theater group, built a stage and performed donating their proceeds to the Settlement House
  • 1925 - Thrift Shop operated from the basement of the Settlement House, later became Independent Thrift Shop on Kings Road
  • 1925 - The Braille Association operated at Settlement House
  • 1927 - TMC acquires non-profit status
  • 1938 - Madison Friends of the Library formed - now an independent organization
  • 1957 - Settlement House becomes the Madison Community House (MCH)
  • 1960 - Madison Community House opens Nursery School
  • 1966 - Rose Wing added and Youth Employment Services offered
  • 1967 - Branch of Morris County Legal Aid Society operated from MCH
  • 1972 - Began After School Enrichment programs
  • 1987 - Computer classes offered for adults
  • 1988 - TIME OUT Adult Day Care Center opened - now Harmony House
  • 1995 - Started relationship with Morris County Probation Dept. and Project Community Pride
  • 1998 - Dress for Success relocated to Madison Community House
  • 2000 - Before and After School Child Care (BASCC) program began in Madison Public Schools
  • 2001 - TMC purchased land at 27 Cook Avenue to add a playground and parking lot
  • 2006 - TMC launched first website
  • 2006 - Renovations began on Rose Wing, and gymnasium/auditorium
  • 2009 - Renovations completed
  • 2011 - Front Garden Redesigned
  • 2017 - Due to a fire, the entire building was renovated and updated with latest code and security systems
  • 2019 - TMC Nursery School becomes a Preschool and expands to an all day, 5 day per week program
Close Menu
×
×

Cart